Monday, June 20, 2011

Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a Match...

I LOVE the musical Fiddler on the Roof, especially the song when Tevye's daughters sing about the matchmaker.  I believe it goes something like this:
Matchmaker, matchmaker, 
make me a cake,
Find me a find, 
get me a date!
Matchmaker, matchmaker
look through cookbooks,
and make me a cake--
of my own!


Okay, maybe I took some liberties, but it was a perfect match, I promise! My cousins were staying with us a summer ago or so, and one of my cousins had her birthday while they were staying with us. To celebrate, we all went to The Makery--a bakery where you get to decorate your own cake with frosting, sprinkles, and whatever else strikes your fancy. So, in a simple mathematical statement, 
family+birthday+The Makery+frosting+lots of cake=lots of fun! (and of course no calories)
The Makery is a great place to have any sort of party; we went for a birthday, but people also go just for fun or out a school dance. The Makery is a perfect match for anyone who has a sweet tooth--and don't try to hide because I know you're out there!!!--because not only is it fun, yummy, and the perfect opportunity to pursue your inner talent as a cake decorator, but you get to make each cake all your own! Order ahead and choose the type of cake batter, filling, and base frosting, and then decorate your dessert just the way you want. 


The cakes were delicious, but after three days of eating cake, we needed to find something else to do with them--there simply wasn't any way that we could eat them all. My cousin and I solved the puzzle--a cake fight!! Needless to say, before this I was the girl who had never even had a food fight, and only a handful of water fights--much less a cake fight!--so I was completely unprepared for the first blow. "Come here!" my cousin told me, "Look at this cake!" Of course I did, and the cake looked back at me--and flew into my face. But don't worry, I passionately avenged the attack. Before our cake fight began, my cousin and I dressed carefully; armed in shower caps, flip flops, and T-shirts, we made our way to the newspaper covered battlefield. I had lent her a T-shirt from a tennis tournament I had been in, but didn't care for--an extra little motivation to cover her in cake! (And before you ask: No, I couldn't find a picture of my cousin and I after the cake fight, but if I do, I'll be sure to post it!)
Post-cake fight, my cousin and I were coated in a sweet layer of white, pink, and orange frosting. It was basically a full-body frosting mask. I had never had such a messy, sugary, crumbly, fun time! Really, maybe cake fashion will be the next hot trend--one can always hope, right??
After the cake fight, I smelled like frosting for a week, and the shirt I wore still sometimes smells like cake batter. Oh, well, I suppose there are worse things one can smell like.... But now I love cake fights! Woohoo! And making cakes, too! And, now that I mention it... eating cakes....
My final feelings regarding the wondrous time that summer we had with cakes? Y-U-M.


Here are pictures of the cakes we made :)  but first I must clarify two things:
1). Yes, we are THAT GOOD at decorating cakes--don't even try to insult our amazing innate artistic abilities
2). We all had tons of fun making, eating, and admiring the cakes. :)


Also--for anyone who has a raging curiosity regarding the real lyrics from the song Matchmaker, I've included the real verse below the photos!






Matchmaker, matchmaker
make me a match.
Find me a find,
catch me catch.
Night after night in the dark I'm alone
So find me a match--
of my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment