Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Bedtime Guest

Last night as I was busy in my room, my mom came running through the house and into my room, the dogs close behind her. Eyes wide, she looked at me as she explained, fending off our two over-excited dogs who decided the best thing to do at that moment was to attack her by jumping and licking her face.
      "I went into my room and turned on the light, and there was a bat, or a bird, or something flying around in there!" The intrusive creature had swooped and then been spooked, so we set out to search for it.
     It was no where to be found. Puzzled, I sat on the sofa in my parents' room, and wondered, if I were a bat, where I would be. We had to find the bat, because it's NOT SAFE to just let one of those little rodents-on-wings snoop around your house leaving "presents" for an unknown amount of time...(Apparently, though, I'm not good at thinking like a bat, because I didn't find it). Then, suddenly, I heard noise. Like shrieking and excited dogs noise. They'd found the creature! And it was a bat!
     It was in our entryway, right at the top of the red flagstone and hanging out up there near the ceiling. In my opinion, it was a neat little bat. It was clean, well-fed, and kind of cute! Plus, it was calm; there was no high-pitched squeaking (or whichever sounds bats make when distressed), flapping of the wings, or malicious dirty looks coming from our visitor. It was upside down--bat-style, I suppose--with its little snout facing downward and framed by the most perfect little coat of honeyed dark brown fur. My parents insist it wasn't cute, but I disagree. Scary, yes. Cute? Definitely.
      My parents considered finding the pool-cleaning net, getting the bat in it, and then somehow getting it outside before it decided to escape and, excuse my language, go batsh-t crazy all over our house. It seemed a rather complicated maneuver to me, and since I really didn't want to see the bat get hurt or upset, I went back into my parents' room and attempted to comfort one of our dogs, which really was quite simple because he didn't even realize that there was a bat to begin with (but hey, you can never be too careful, right?). We had the bedroom doors shut because we all know just how lovely it would be to have a vagabond bat flapping and swooping around your room all night, so I heard people in our entryway talking to my parents. I decided not to go investigate as to who was in our house, but when the conversation transitioned from talking to the pounding of running feet and more shrieking, I decided to see what was going on. 
     To my surprise, there were two police officers in our entryway. The excitement was coming from the fact that the bat was flying--and they were trying to catch it. Finally, they caught the bat with a little black butterfly net in our dining room. After releasing the bat outside--and hopefully far away from the door, but I didn't check--the policemen, my parents, and I talked about bats for a while and then they left.  It was a very exciting evening. Two high-stress things had happened after 10:30: I'd worn my pajamas--a tank top for sleeping and little shorts-- in front of two policemen who were in my house (plus, my hair was in a really awkward state of disarray in a terrible bun), and we'd had a bat fly through half of our house! 
     Well, that's enough to try to drive you batty! And yes, appreciate my lovely humor :)
      I wonder what kind of bat it was. If anyone knows anything about bats, feel free to comment if you know what kinds are most likely to venture into bedrooms during the evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment