Tuesday, July 19, 2011

L'espadrille

Tout de France aime les espadrilles! Et les personnes de la cote de Basque aiment les espadrilles aussi!

My parents and I just got back from a two-week vacation to Europe; we visited England, Barcelona, San Sebastian, St. Jean-de-Luz, Biarritz, and Bidarray. And we had tons of fun! I loved it. The last four towns/cities we went to are in the Basque region that lies around the Southern part of the border of France and Spain. Though in San Sebastian the national language is officially Spanish, and that of the French towns is French, the Basque region is famously united by the Basque language-- Euskara--, a common heritage, culture and tradition, and their long history in the region (the Basques were the first Europeans and still speak a language unlike any others spoken on the continent today).
But, as I have learned, they have more in common: Espadrilles!! And, proudly, I now have that in common with them as well--as can you. Espadrilles are from France, and St. Jean-de-Luz has several shoe stores that sell nothing but espadrilles! A shoe/espadrille-lover's heaven. The shoes are the most comfortable shoes I have ever tried on in my life; I literally tried them on in the stores and had the distinct impression that I could walk twenty miles in them if I had to--and gladly. Most espadrilles are light-weight, so they are ideal for walking. So far, I don't know how long they last, but I do know that nearly every local in San Sebastian and the towns in the cote de Basque was wearing espadrilles to walk around in, and many wore them for dinner as well. They come in varying styles and levels of formality.
All espadrilles have a sort of woven canvas or cotton bottom that's anywhere from a centimeter to a couple inches high if you buy espadrille platforms. Traditional espadrilles are sandals and flats, with nude, basic, or colorful fabric forming the top of the shoe.
And the coolest thing: they ALL fit me! It's truly amazing. Buying shoes in America, I always have to try on one or two sizes depending on whether the brand runs small, or large, or even "normal". I'm a size 37 in European sizing, and every single pair of size 37 espadrilles fit me perfectly. MIRACLE!! Plus, we were there during the sales, which provided an unimaginable amount of need for self-control.
My advice: get some espadrilles! They might be a bit pricey, depending on the store, style, sales, and the Euro (if it's a shoe store in France or Spain) but they are so comfortable it'll easily justify the price, plus they're coming into fashion in the US, they're always in fashion in the Basque region, and they're super-cute, comfy, and wearable.
Many European espadrille shoe stores are stuffed floor-to-ceiling with espadrilles on every wall, and the flats take up nearly no space both in the closet and the suitcase.
Espadrilles:
Espadrilles in a shoe store

No comments:

Post a Comment